Powered by Blogger.
RSS

My interview with Ciaran O'Devlin


I've known Mr. O'Devlin for over a year now. I think I know as much as I can about him, but what he says might surprise you.
We sat down last Wednesday to talk and this is what he revealed...

Diva: Mr. O'Devlin, I feel like it was just yesterday when I met you. How are you doing?
Ciaran: Quite frankly, Miss Jefferson, I feel like everything I've known has turned upside down. (He laughs.) I'm well, thank you.
Diva: Anyways, no use putting it off. Where were you born?
Ciaran: (His dimpled smile was very captivating.) Altmore, County Tyrone, Ireland.
Diva: (I smile in return) What do you do for a living?
Ciaran: I work. (His black hair moves with the shake of his head.) I spend me life farming the land.
Diva: Sounds...well, you know...
Ciaran: (Another laugh.) I admit work on a farm is not craic at all. I should change that. Got a pint?
Diva: Unfortunately, no, I need you to be sober for at least another thirty minutes. (He shrugged before I continued.) Tell me about your parents. How well did you get along with them?
Ciaran: They were grand people. I remember their voices, 'tis all. (He bowed his head towards the ground.)
Diva: How many siblings do you have? Older? Younger?
Ciaran: Two. (His head stayed.) One older, Eonan, an' the other younger, Solas. My two sisters died soon after me parents.
Diva: (I knew I hit a hard spot, so I asked something else.) What were you afraid of when you were a child?
Ciaran: (He lifted his head.) Losing the farm. Miss Jefferson, the farm was the last thing I had left o' me parents.
Diva: I know, Mr. O'Devlin. I think you did a wonderful job overcoming your obstacles. (I paused a moment to allow him to collect himself. He nodded and I continued.) What makes you happy now?
Ciaran: I will truly say me wife, Aveline. (His voice lowered.) Without her, I missed the meaning o' life. I took everything for granted.
Diva: What would you change about yourself if you could, Mr. O'Devlin?
Ciaran: I really am stubborn, you know. (He tapped his head, mussing the hair under his flat cap.) Maybe I should start over without such a hard head.
Diva: (I laughed despite myself and he joined. I waited until our laughter died before continuing.) What is it that you have never told anyone? I love hearing people's deep dark secrets.
Ciaran: (He moved closer and stared into my eyes.) If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
(I knew then and there that Ciaran O'Devlin's deepest secret was his undying love for me.
Okay, maybe I lied. Or wished more than anything.)
Ciaran: No, Miss Jefferson, I don't mean it. (He moved backwards and planted himself in the nearest chair.) When I saw Aveline eavesdropping on me the first day we met, I thought I saw me mother in her eyes an' I wished more than anything to spend me life with her.
Diva: Thank you so much, Mr. O'Devlin, from taking the time to answer these questions for me. I know how hard it can be to leave a busy life behind for such a cause. Your family is forever in my hopes and prayers. Good luck in the future, sir.
Ciaran: (He smiled warmly.) May your home be filled with laughter. May your pockets be filled with gold. And may you have all the happiness your Irish heart can hold. (Then he quit the room.)
(I stared after him for a good while. He was definitely one of a kind.)





Happy Writing!



-Diva J.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Deana said...

I love this interview...it gave me cold chills, that is saying something considering it is a character. I'd love to read more about him:)

Diva Jefferson said...

I'm hoping the book is released soon, so you could read it. Thank you for your comment. :)

Post a Comment