Powered by Blogger.
RSS

The Best Writing Advice I'd Ever Received

Dear readers,
I'm on the home stretch for completing this novel and I'm so excited to announce that it will be part of a series or saga. I much prefer the term 'saga', because it sounds more epic. The problem is I can't seem to come up with a series name yet. (I'll address those concerns later on in the post.) Although, I do have several other books in mind for the saga, The Earl's Son is actually a sequel to another book I wrote years ago.

This Victorian Era saga is about an aristocratic family who are victims of political strife. There is action, suspense, revenge, mystery, deception and above all, romance. I hope you enjoy the novels as much as I do writing them.

My theme for this post is: What is the best writing advice you've ever received?
Believe it or not, after years of talking to other writers, joining workshops workshops, and participating in a critique group, I've heard a lot of great advice on writing. One such recommendation came from none other than my fiance who reads a lot of Fantasy (Jim Butcher, Tracey Hickman/Margaret Wies, etc.) Our relationship involves a lot of conversation and despite his inexperience in my genre, I read him what I've written for the day in hopes to receive an opinion that sticks. So often he'd repeated a phrase which never left my mind. I think about it a lot when I write.

The words I remember most from him were...
Don't underestimate your readers.

It's true. Readers know more than they admit. Of course, a writer could give a whole history lesson on farming (like I did in To Love An Irishman), but it's really hard to avoid describing things that are relevant for a topic without thinking your reader will find the content boring. In my current project, I have several fight scenes where I describe my hero using martial art styles. You'd think most women reading romance novels wouldn't know the actual names of these moves...so, I describe the process. My fiance encouraged me to be more descriptive and hold less back in my writing.

Don't be afraid to open up to your readers. After all, they want the whole experience your novel gives them.
Including, the parts you think are boring.
Description and details go along way. Use them to your advantage.


Please feel free to share your advice in a comment below. Oh, and if you also have recommendations for naming a series or saga, then share those, too. Thank you for reading!



Happy writing!
Diva J.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment